Get rid of impurities
Therefore, put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Don’t be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world. Colossians 3:5
Yesterday I talked about being too earthly minded and how setting your sights on things of the earth can limit your effectiveness in your eternal purpose. Today, I want to talk about steps we can take to turn more of our daily attention toward the things of our Heavenly Father and His plan for us as individuals.
Today’s verse contains a list of activities that lead us away from growing in our relationship with our LORD. The list continues throughout the rest of the reading for today. These are also habits that lure us from the path of His blessings and goodness. As you read through the list below, consider carefully if any of these acts have crept into your life without you noticing. Sin is very sneaky and often disguises itself as something that can be justified as needful or good. An example of that would be criticizing others on the pretense of helping them to improve, but the underlying truth is that it makes you feel better about your own shortcomings. You may justify in your heart “At least I’m not that bad”. Hopefully, you will not be able to relate to many of these habits but examine yourself on each one by bringing them before the LORD as you consider.
I would encourage you to talk to Holy Spirit about each item in the list below and ask Him to expose and reveal to you any area where any of these acts may have come into your life. As you talk with Him, turn each of these sinful activities over to Him and ask that He expose them if they try to get close to you and empower you to never fall into them.
1. Sexual immorality – without morals in thought or deed
2. Impurity – mixed with the world’s standard to become harmful, low quality or ineffective for God’s kingdom
3. Lust – strong desire for what is unhealthy physically, emotionally and spiritually
4. Evil desires – wanting what is against or in the opposite direction of God
5. Don’t be greedy/idolatrous, worshiping the things of this world.
6. Get rid of anger – feelings that try to come when something unfair, painful or bad happens. Rather submit these feeling to God immediately.
7. Rage – violent anger
8. Malicious behavior – intentions to cause harm especially by hurting someone’s feelings or reputation
9. Slander – false statements about others that causes damage to their reputation
10. Dirty language – unclean, unfair, dishonest or unkind words
11. Don’t lie to each other – covering up the truth
12. Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him.
13. Don’t consider if you are a Jew or a Gentile (racial differences), circumcised or uncircumcised, barbaric, uncivilized, slave, or free. Christ is all that matters, and he lives in all of us.
Today I want to encourage you to make a fresh commitment to be cleansed of all unrighteousness by turning over every area of your life to God. He has forgiven you and cleansed you, you only need to ask to receive all the goodness He has made available for your life. Determine to live your life free from the stains of the world and its ways by receiving God’s grace to walk out His plan in all honesty and purity of living. What better way to start 2021 than living free of impurities.
Today’s scripture reading: Colossians 3:5-11