Let peace by your guide
And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful. Colossians 3:15
The next part of Colossians 3 is a list of activities that draw us closer to God and others. In the same way that the previous verses (discussed yesterday) list sin that pull us further away from God, verses 12-17 teach us how to become more like Him. I will list them the same way I listed the activities that are to be put to death in yesterday’s dose. I would like to point out that the majority of the list today are things you have to put on, they do not happen automatically just because you are a Christian. You have to plan ahead of time and purposefully do these things until they become who you really are on the inside.
- Put on tender mercies – Gentleness/compassion
- Put on kindness – generous acts
- Put on humility – preferring others first
- Put on meekness – quiet, not loud and boastful
- Put on longsuffering – endurance
- Bearing with one another – hanging on in the tough times
- Forgiving one another – let go of hurts with love
- Forgive as Christ Jesus forgave you.
- Put on love because it is the bond of perfection – love holds us together
- Let (give entrance to) the peace of God rule in your hearts, which you were called to
- (you) Be thankful – always looking for the good things
- Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom – meditate God’s Word daily
- Teach and build others up in psalms, hymns and spiritual songs,
- Sing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
- Do all things in word or deed in the name of the Lord Jesus,
- Give thanks to God the Father through Jesus our LORD.
Notice that after you do the “putting on”, the door is open for God’s peace to come in. Not only that, God’s peace can be your guide through life. If there is no peace, you can be sure there is no faith involved. Peace in God and His Word can direct you through any crisis, problem or circumstance you face in life. It is a gauge or measuring stick of the amount of God’s Word at work in your life. By listening to His Spirit on the inside and confirming that voice with His Word, then His peace will lead the way to the goodness He wants to get you to.
Today I want to encourage you to let God’s peace rule in your heart and be thankful. Thank Him for the plan He has for you. Thank Him for leading you day by day. Thank Him that you know and follow that plan and thank Him that His path is always plain and clear for you to see and follow. Let peace lead you through your life journey and while you are at it, enjoy the ride!
Today’s scripture reading: Colossians 3:12-17